- The negotiations through the end of 2019 consisted of 9 days of negotiations in various locations throughout the state.
- CPMR’s confirmed we have Amicus status in the 2020 negotiations from Judge Maloney
- CPMR’s attorney’s had multiple meetings during the summer of 2019 with MDNR to prepare for the 2020 negotiations
- Attended the August Executive Council meeting. This is an annual meeting of the 5 Tribes, federal agencies and MDNR to review and discuss any issues between the parties. This year starting the negotiations was the most important item.
- CPMR’s negotiating team has had several conference calls preparing for the start of and during the 2020 negotiations
- Attended 9 days of negotiations. So far during the negotiations some of the issues have come forward and others have not. It is fair to say that much of the work is still yet to be done. Though we only have less than 8 months until the current Decree expires these negotiations are just getting started.
- CPMR website is out there informing interested anglers. www.protectmiresources.com
- CPMR has a donation feature on it’s website to help raise the needed funds to support our legal work http://protectmiresources.com/donate/
- CPMR has a Facebook page, although at its beginning phase, please like the page to get updates and share with your members and friends to help keep them informed. https://www.facebook.com/Coalition-to-Protect-Michigan-Resources-263806077627923/
Looking ahead to 2020. In an effort to get the message out to all anglers that fish the Great Lakes. I will be representing CPMR at the upcoming sport fishing shows. Ultimate Fishing Show Detroit-January 9-12, Birch Run Hunting and Fishing Expo-February 7-9, Outdoorama-Novi February 27-March 1 and Ultimate Fishing Show West-March 19-22. The Michigan Charter Boat Association has offered to provide CPMR a small section of their display booth. We will be present on the Saturday of all four shows greeting attendees with information, answering questions and accepting donations to support CPMR. CPMR will be handing out a flyer to interested attendees. Please see the attached flyer titled “Your Fish-Your Rights”.
Our member, Michigan Steelhead and Salmon Fisherman’s Association, has included in their show edition of their newsletter, which is given to all attendees who visit their booth at the sport shows, the attached article, “Preserving Our Sportfishing Heritage”, authored by our attorney Steve Schultz. Thank you MSSFA for helping get the message out to Michigan anglers.